24 September 2017 (Tours at 10am and 1pm, booking essential.)
Recently named as one of Scotland’s ten favourite buildings of the last century, Rothesay Pavilion has been the cultural centre of the island community of Bute off the West Coast of Scotland. Built in 1938 by architect J.A. Carrick, this Grade A listed building is a fabulous example of 1930s International Modernism akin to the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill, which opened just three years before. The Pavillion has served Bute’s residents and visitors as everything from grand ballroom and concert hall to wedding venue, civic centre, family entertainment venue and sports hall. Over the years it has hosted tea dances and big band concerts, community pantomimes, rock concerts, conferences, arts festivals, football and boxing tournaments, horticultural shows, birthday parties, political conferences and conventions.
After eight decades of continuous and sustained use on its seafront location, this iconic edifice is showing its age, and in 2000 Rothesay Pavilion was placed on the 'buildings at risk' register requiring complete restoration and refurbishment to ensure its future. In 2013 a rescue plan was launched by owners Argyll and Bute Council and a new ‘Rothesay Pavilion’ charity formed to assist with the restoration project and take over the management and programming of the building on completion. The Pavilion finally closed its doors to the public in September 2015 to allow for a complicated and phased refurbishment project to commence which is due for completion in 2019.
Tours will take place at 10am and 1pm. Booking is essential, to book please contact
We are now offering a rare opportunity to see behind the scenes with a hard hat tour of Rothesay Pavilion under construction. Please note that this is a building site so access is limited and there are no toilet facilities available. Dust levels in the air and on walls and surfaces can be high, and tour participants are encouraged to wear sturdy, flat footwear and clothing that they don’t mind getting dusty. The tour lasts approximately 90 minutes and is not suitable for children.
Architect: J.A. Carrick
Building Date: 1938