23 September 2017 (9am - 5pm)
24 September 2017 (1pm - 5pm)
There has been a church on the same site for over 365 years, the parish initially extending from Garelochhead to Cardross. The current building is the third and was completed in 1851. The second was the one in which Rev John McLeod Campbell preached his doctrine known now as “The Row Heresy” (Row being the original way of spelling the village name of Rhu). The Parish of Shandon became re-united with Rhu in 1971 - a split in 1844 saw Shandon forming its own Free Church congregation.
There are a number of graves of interesting people spread out around the church yard - most notably those of Sir James Guthrie and Henry Bell; and there is also a memorial to those who served on the Clyde Training Ship “Cumberland” which was destroyed by fire in 1889.
In 2017 the Minister is Rev David T Young and he is supported by Rev Tina Kemp. Services are held every Sunday and the congregation is linked with Helensburgh Parish Church and at times, services are shared in one or other church.
Architect: William Spense, with additions of nave by Honeyman and Keppie
Building Date: 1851