Search
Search
Back to List

Clarendon House

New
Door open days

Argyll & Bute

Clarendon, or Torwood Villa as it was originally named, was built in the mid 19th century.   The two extensions you can see on either side of the original building were designed by William Leiper, the famous Scottish architect, in 1888 and 1891. 

 

During the 20th century, Clarendon became the home of the Rickey family and later the Singer family, until, in 1937, the building was bought by the Girls School Company and was used as part of St. Bride’s school in a variety of ways, ranging from a boarding house to classroom accommodation.  During the Second World War, it was commandeered by the Royal Navy and Wrens were based here for 5 years.  

From 1959, it operated as the Prep department and in 1977, when St. Bride’s joined with Larchfield School to form Lomond School, Clarendon continued as the Junior Department, which it still is today. 

Facilities

Key Information

Architect: Remodeled by William Leiper

Building Date: Mid-19th Century

Where to find us

Address
  • Lomond School
  • 89 James Street
  • Helensburgh
  • G82 9JX