2 September 2017 (10.30 am - 3.30 pm)
3 September 2017 (10.30 am - 3.30 pm)
War Memorials vary in scale and design, but few have the presence of the tower on Balmashanner Hill, known locally as Boammie. Built between 1920 and 1921 to the design of T.R. Soutar, and erected in the memory of the "Men of Forfar and District who fell in the Great War 19-14-18" this war memorial is a battlemented and turreted tower of local sandstone which rises 572 feet a mile south of the centre of Forfar, with access gained by tracts from the east (Lour Road) and the west (Dundee Road) and is a prominent landmark, visible from a considerable distance.
It is very similar in outline to the 1901 Airlie Monument on Tulloch Hill, Glen Prosen which is also taking part in Doors Open Day.
The high vantage point affords extensive views over the Vale of Strathmore to the west and the Braes of Angus to the north. Close to the War Memorial is an indicator gifted to the town in 1929 by James Anderson, a Forfar businessman and financier which describes the names and heights of the mountains in the surrounding hills.
Architect: Thomas Soutar
Building Date: 1920-21
Directions/Parking Located to the southern side of Forfar and at a prominent vantage point. Please refer to the Forfar Path Network leaflet for directions. On street parking around a number of path starting points. Please note this is a fairly steep climb on a terrain path. Suitable footwear is advised.
Re-opened after restoration works in 2011/12. Climb the 86 steps to the top of the monyment to enjoy the spectacular views. If it is a clear day you will be able to view Airlie Monument on Tulloch Hill opposite.
There is no vehicular access to the building and care should be taken when parking on nearby roads to not obstruct the flow of traffic. Please avoid parking at the entrances to the paths. Unsuitable access for wheelchairs.
For more information, email email@example.com.