This imposing structure was constructed to John Fowlie’s design by two experienced, and indeed elderly, masons, Alexander Brown and Magnus Johnstone, between April 1921 and October 1922. The octagonal tower of rusticated and rock faced ashlar, all of Kemnay granite, it is 21 meters (63 feet) high.
On plaques around it are the names of Macduff’s war dead in two world wars and later. Visitors on Doors Open Day can climb the stairs to the top where there is a breath-taking view of sea and mountains, and of the two towns, Banff and Macduff, below it. The War Memorial is itself a landmark to mariners from the sea.
Architect: John Fowlie
Building Date: between April 1921 and October 1922.