Benholm Kirk stands on a site which dates to at least 1242AD. The first church was replaced in the 13th Century by a Gothic church. As the 19th Century approached a new church was needed and, on the 16th September 1832, 768 people heard the Rev James Glen dedicate Benholm Kirk as we know it today.
The Kirk houses items salvaged from the previous building. Amongst these items is a Sacrament House dating from the 15th Century, now built into the east wall. Another important item salvaged and displayed prominently to the left of the pulpit, is the Keith Monument, a Memorial to Lady Mary Keith. The daughter of George Keith, 5th Earl Marischall and his Countess, Lady Margaret Ogilvie, Mary died in 1620, aged only 4.
Another Monument to Robert Scott of Benholme, to the right of the pulpit dates from 1690.
Carved in white marble, this is a highly sophisticated memorial of its period in Scotland making it rare and unusual.
In 2006, with the help of the community, the Kirk was purchased and taken into care by the Scottish Redundant Churches Trust. The Kirk will be preserved and protected, enabling it to be used for occasional services continuing the centuries-old tradition of worship on the site.
One of the Friends of Benholm Kirk is available to offer a talk on the church, subject to numbers. Please direct all enquiries to; email: Geoff_lawrence@btinternet.com Tel:01561 361631