8 September 2018 (10 am to 4 pm)
Known as the 'Mither Kirk' it was founded around 1150 and was one of the largest medieval Burgh Kirks in Scotland. The late 12th century transept, known as Collison's Aisle, still survives and since 1990 has contained a chapel, created in thanksgiving for 25 years of the oil industry and as a memorial to those who have lost their lives.
For many years St Nicholas has consisted of two churches:
West St Nicholas is the work of James Gibbs, an Aberdonian and the architect of such buildings as St Martin in the Fields, London. West St Nicholas was built between 1752-5, after his death, and retains its original interior.
East St Nicholas was built by Archibald Simpson in 1835-7. It was gutted by fire and rebuilt in 1875-7 by William Smith who also built the current central tower and spire. The East Kirk is currently closed pending the remodelling of the interior.
Architect: Archibald Simpson, William Smith, James Gibb
Building Date: 11th Century onwards
There will be recitals on the carillon at 11am, midday, 1pm 2pm and 3pm.
Historical/other information available.
Image (c) www.scran.ac.uk