Search
Search

Places

Midlothian

Midlothian Doors Open Days offers visitors a varied and interesting day out in beautiful countryside with something for everyone, and best of all - it's FREE so have a look through our programme and start planning your visit!

Our Doors Open Days weekend is 14th and 15th September.

Midlothian

Cousland Smiddy and Heritage Hub

Date 1: 14/09/2019
Date 2: 01/01/0001
Tags: Talk Weekend 3 (14-15 September)

14 September 2019

There has been a working Smiddy in Cousland since 1703. When the local blacksmith retired in 1989, the Cousland Smiddy Trust was set up to save the Smiddy as one of the last still working in Scotland. In 2001 the Smiddy complex and its gardens were purchased by the Trust and are now open to the public regularly throughout the summer months and group bookings are welcome. Funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic Scotland saw the restoration of the smith's cottage, and recent further development has enabled Cousland Local History Project to create a permanent space to display the history of the village, which can be traced back to the Early Bronze Age. Thirteen organic allotments in the grounds are let to villagers. www.couslandsmiddy.co.uk

Midlothian

Crichton Collegiate Church

Date 1: 14/09/2019
Date 2: 01/01/0001
Tags: Weekend 3 (14-15 September)

14 September 2019

Crichton was built as a Collegiate Church by Sir William Crichton, Lord Chancellor of Scotland in the time of King James II, and adopted as the parish church for all time in 1641. William Crichton also greatly enlarged the nearby Crichton Castle. The church is one of the few remaining Collegiate Churches in Scotland still in use. Subject to major restorations in its nearly 600 years history, the building is now in the care of a Trust. The Trust hosts a programme of concerts and ecumenical services reflecting the hospitality of the local community, drawing together the Church of Scotland, the Roman Catholic Church and the Scottish Episcopal Church. In addition to a fine suite of 19th C stained glass windows by Ballantyne and Gardiner, there is a unique pipe organ built by Joseph Brook which has survived for over 100 years in its original state. www.crichtonchurch.com

Midlothian

Dalkeith Community Fire Station

Date 1: 14/09/2019
Date 2: 01/01/0001
Tags: Great for families and children Weekend 3 (14-15 September)

14 September 2019

Dalkeith Fire Station opened on 9 November 1970 and is an integral part of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. It provides a high quality fire-fighting and rescue service that responds to fires and other emergencies, educating and advising the general public on community safety matters, enforcing fire safety legislation and advising local authorities and other agencies with respect to their own legal obligations. The main purpose of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is to work in partnership with communities and others in the public, private and third sectors, on prevention, protection and response, to improve the safety and wellbeing of people living within Midlothian and throughout Scotland. A free home fire safety visit is available to all residents of the Midlothian area and is carried out by local fire-fighters. We'll help you sort out a fire escape plan and provide information about smoke, heat and carbon monoxide alarms. To arrange a visit, please call  FREEPHONE 0800 0731 999, text "FIRE" to 80800 or visit our website www.firescotland.gov.uk

Midlothian

Lasswade Church

Date 1: 14/09/2019
Date 2: 01/01/0001
Tags: Weekend 3 (14-15 September)

14 September 2019

The church was opened in 1830 for the Lasswade Congregation in the United Presbyterian Church. In 1894 the Church was completely overhauled and several alterations carried out. Amongst the gifts which came to the congregation at that time were the present handsome pulpit, the stained glass windows at each side of it, the entrance porch, and the bell. In 1929 the United Presbyterian Church united with the Church of Scotland. On 22 April 1956, the congregations of Lasswade Old Parish Church and Lasswade Strathesk united to form the present congregation of Lasswade Parish Church, and have continued to use this building for worship every Sunday morning since.

Midlothian

Lost Garden of Penicuik

Date 1: 15/09/2019
Date 2: 01/01/0001
Tags: Walk / trail / tour Weekend 3 (14-15 September)

15 September 2019

Plans for the Upper Walled Garden of Penicuik Estate were drawn up in 1873. There were detailed planting schemes for fruit and vegetables for the 5 acres of growing area, and more than 100 yards of glasshouses and conservatories for growing peaches, figs and grapes as well as outdoor cultivation of fruit trees and soft fruit. By the mid-1880's, the garden was operational, quite faithfully following the original plans. From the impressively scrolled iron gate, the path led past a central fountain and up the 'grand staircase' to the terraces in front of the glasshouses. Around the turn of the century, the garden changed from the kitchen garden for Penicuik House to become one of the most magnificent commercial horticultural ventures in Scotland.

Search Filters

Area Coordinator

  • Sheena Devlin
  • Midlothian Council