Erskine Community Halls
Designed by William Black of Messrs A. & W.
Black, architects, Falkirk, the Erskine Church
was built in 1905. It is in the Gothic style of
architecture of the Perpendicular period,
with a square tower at the south-west corner
some 90 ft tall. The south gable presents
a five light tracery window and twin doors
to the street, approached by an imposing
broad flight of steps.
The church is cruciform in plan, with nave,
aisles, chancel and two shallow transepts.
There are galleries over the end of the
nave and each of the transepts. A creamy
sandstone from Eastfield Quarry was used.
Internally the bases of the pillars are of
freestone but the walls and ceiling have been
finished with lathe and plaster. Behind the
church and communicating with it is a hall
to accommodate 200 people, a smaller hall,
vestry, session room, ladies room, waiting
room, kitchen and offices. The total cost of
the building was put at £9248.
The building ceased functioning as
a church in 2014 and is used as community
halls. It now provides a great venue for
Courtesy of The Erskine Community Halls.