Devon Colliery Beam Engine House
Date 1: 29/09/2018
Date 2: 01/01/0001
Weekend 5 (29-30 September)
29 September 2018
Devon Colliery has had a long history, but flooding forced it to close in 1854. It was reopened in 1879 by Alloa Coal Company, which installed new pit-head plant, including the impressive Beam Engine House, which housed a Cornish-style beam pumping engine built by Neilson & Co in Glasgow in 1865. It could pump 2,560 gallons of water per minute out of the colliery. It was in operation until 1932, when electric pumps were installed.
Devon Colliery closed in 1960 and the beam engine was partly dismantled. The Beam Engine House was restored by Clackmannan District Council in 1993, by which time only the massive cast-iron beam and part of the pump-rod remained. It is one of the few surviving beam engines in Scotland. It was converted to office space and, after sporadic use, was later sold to the Scottish SPCA, which is now developing plans to use it as an educational information centre.