Clackmannanshire: 26 September 2015 27 September 2015
Come and join us to see the fascinating buildings and projects happening in the county this year.
This year an exhibition in the Speirs Centre marks the centenary of the First World War and commemorates the bravery of two local men who were awarded the VC in 1915. There will also be a special heritage weekend in Clackmannan, with the Parish Church and Clackmannan Tower open on both days and Clackmannan Town Hall hosting activities and displays related to the Tale of Two Estates project of the Inner Forth Landscape Initiative. Visitors who have booked a tour of Clackmannan Tower will be able to see a geophysical survey in progress and the results of the survey in the Town Hall, uploaded as they are gathered. They will also be able to see most of the Clackmannanshire Tower Trail, with Alloa and Sauchie Towers and Menstrie Castle also taking part, as well as Hilton Farm, where paintings from the fine Mar & Kellie collection can be seen.
Several churches, Alva Old Kirkyard and the Johnstone Mausoleum, Alva Ice House, conserved as part of the Ochils Landscape Partnership, are included, as are Resonate Arts House, Dollar Museum, Tullibody Heritage Centre and Inglewood House Hotel, former home of the Forrester-Paton family, part of the Paton wool-spinning dynasty. Finally, Alloa Fire Station and the Ochils Mountain Rescue Team Post will be open to allow visitors to see the work of these essential services.
Please note that in some buildings only the ground floor is accessible to people with mobility difficulties. Please refer to the key next to each entry. Visitors enter the buildings at their own risk. Neither Clackmannanshire Council nor any participating building owners are responsible for any accidents or damage incurred.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 24 results by building (A - Z)
Alloa Fire Station
26.09.15 (10.30 am - 11.30 pm and 2 pm to 3 pm) - 27.09.15 (2 pm to 3 pm)
Alloa Fire Station celebrated its 50th anniversary last year. It currently has four fire appliances including specialist vehicles for Urban Search and Rescue and Heavy Rescue. These are crewed by twenty eight wholetime personnel on a four watch rotational duty system and by twelve additional personnel on a retained duty system.
The inception of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in April 2013 now means that these fire crews and their supporting equipment from Alloa could be called upon to mobilise to anywhere in Scotland
The role of the fire service has changed dramatically in the last fifty years. Today’s modern Fire Service attend a multitude of incidents including fires, road traffic collisions, urban search and rescue, water rescue, rope rescue and the appliances and equipment within Alloa display the vast array of equipment required for these tasks. The crews are also proactively involved in all aspects of community safety work including the delivery of home fire safety visits and engaging with the local community to give fire safety advice.
To book a free Home Fire Safety Visit text ‘fire’ to 61611, call 0800 0731 999 or visit www.firescotland.gov.uk
Building Date: 1964
There will be guided tours at the above times. Each tour will last for up to an hour, but visitors must be aware that in the event of any emergency calls they will be asked to leave the fire station.
Alloa Hilton Farm
26.09.15 (2 pm to 4 pm )
The Earl and Countess of Mar & Kellie will open their home again to give visitors a chance to see some of their fascinating ancestral portraits, including Lady Frances Erskine, daughter of John, 6th Earl of Mar; her half-brother Thomas, Lord Erskine, her son John Francis Erskine and others. Several interesting landscapes of the Alloa House estate will also be on display.
The paintings here complement others from this fine collection on display in Alloa Tower.
27.09.15 (12 pm to 4 pm )
This large Jacobean-style house was designed by A G Sydney Mitchell & Wilson for Alexander Forrester-Paton. The south front has impressive two-storey bay windows with a veranda, rising to huge curve and triangular shaped gables, and a massive, four-storey battlemented tower. It has a stunning full-height recess with a large mullioned and transformed window containing Arts & Crafts style stained glass designed by Oscar Paterson. The main staircase leads off the hall, which also contains a fine inglenook fireplace.
The Forrester Room was originally the drawing room, with a conservatory on its west side. The house was an Eventide Home for many years after the Forrester-Patons left, but has been restored and is now a hotel. Much of the fine original decorative detail, including bespoke door handles, has been preserved. The lodge and coach house have also survived. Inglewood will be open courtesy of Inglewood House and Spa.
Architect: A G Sydney Mitchell & Wilson
Building Date: 1900
Alloa Ludgate Church
26.09.15 (10.30 am to 3.30 pm) - 27.09.15 (1 pm to 3.30 pm)
This church was designed by Peddie & Kinnear in Early French Gothic style and replaced a plain 18th century building. In 1902 Scots late Gothic transepts and a pine and marble sanctuary with an elaborate pulpit by A G Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, who had also designed Greenfield for David Thomson, were added; David Thomson and his brother John Thomson Paton paid for this work. The north window is in memory of their parents, while the west and east transept windows were given by the Procters, another branch of the Paton family. All three windows are by C E Kempe. The 1904 pipe organ by Messrs Lewis and Co was also given by the Thomsons. The adjacent church hall was designed by the Alloa architect Adam Frame in 1891.
The interior was altered a few years ago: the original pews were removed, the marble altar moved to the west transept and the walls and roof painted. Memorials and other fittings from the former North Church have been incorporated into the modernised church.
Architect: Peddie & Kinnear
Building Date: 1863-4, 1902-4
Visitors are welcome to attend the service on Sunday at 10.30 am.
Guided tours are available on request
Alloa Moncrieff United Free Church
27.09.15 (1 pm to 4 pm )
Designed by John Melvin of Alloa, this church has an impressive gable with a four-light tracery window flanked by lancet windows.
The interior was formerly quite austere and still retains most of its box pews, but the central pews were removed in a recent refurbishment.
The large and impressive horse-shoe shaped gallery was added a few years after the building's construction, to cope with the additional space requirements of the congregation.
This was once the family church of the large and influential Paton family, of John Paton, Son & Co, of Kilncraigs Mill.
The 'Hidden Garden', a newly created peaceful haven adjacent to the church, will also be open.
Architect: John Melvin Snr
Building Date: 1850/1
Alloa Resonate Arts House
26.09.15 (10 am to 2 pm ) - 27.09.15 (10 am to 2 pm)
Unit A3, North Castle Street, Alloa, FK10 1EU
Resonate is a community-led, self-funded, profit for good organisation which is run by volunteers and believes in growing trust to inspire positive action by individuals, building a more resilient community for all.
Resonate represents something different to everyone - whether people want to learn new skills, meet people, share abilities, start a new business, volunteer and help others, have fun, increase wellbeing, build self-confidence, recycle ‘waste’ for others to use, develop a social enterprise or enjoy and share an environmental project.
Find Resonate Arts House on Facebook /ResonateArtsHouse and on Twitter @Head2Green.
Building Date: 2010
Saturday 26th: the Resonate Team are offering the following free workshops: 10.30-11am The Mindfulness Colour Upcycle Cups and: 12.30–1pm The Mindfulness Colour Upcycle Plates.
Sunday 27th: the Resonate Team are offering the following free workshops: 10.30-11am The Zen of Sand and Rock and: 12.30-1pm The Zen of Sand and Glass.
Please book your free place by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning Wendy on 01259 928014.
Alloa Speirs Centre
26.09.15 (9 am to 1 pm)
The Speirs Centre was built as Alloa Public Baths and Gymnasium and was gifted by John Thomson Paton, Managing Director of John Paton, Son & Co. Ltd, KIlncraigs Mill. It was designed by John James Burnet, Son & Campbell. Construction began in 1895 and it opened on 29th April 1898. The building has been described as ‘one of Scotland’s finest public baths and gymnasiums’. It closed at the end of 1986, then reopened as a gymnastic centre on 13thJanuary 1989 as The Speirs Centre, in memory of the Clackmannanshire boxer Tommy Speirs. It closed again in 2012 and reopened on 18th October 2014, with a new extension designed by LDN Architects. It now provides a wide range of services, including a library; local and family history research centre; Registry; customer services and exhibitions on the history and heritage of the county. To mark the centenary of the First World War, an exhibition will focus on the first year of the war and commemorate the bravery of two local men, second cousins James Dalglish Pollock and James Lennox Dawson, who were both awarded the VC for their action during the Battle of Loos in the autumn of 1915.
Architect: J J Burnet, Son & Campbell
Building Date: 1898, 2014
Alloa St John's Episcopal Church
26.09.15 (1.30 pm to 4 pm)
This fine church was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in a simple Geometric style, with a separate bell-tower and tall, broach spire. It is one of the most beautifully designed and finished Episcopal churches in Scotland. It was built for Walter Coningsby Erskine, Earl of Mar & Kellie, as a gift to the congregation.
The ornate interior includes stained glass by C A Gibbs (1869), C E Kempe (1890, 1902), Douglas Strachan (1913) and Margaret Chilton (1939) given by the Erskine family, William Bailey of Alloa Pottery and the Younger family, brewers in Alloa; a Sicilian marble altar with a reredos mosaic by Salviati of Venice; and some very fine memorials,including an impressive marble effigy of Walter Coningsby Erskine, a World War I memorial designed by Sir Robert Lorimer and a chancel screen and accompanying memorial tablet of 1902 in memory of 2nd Lieutenant E J Younger, killed in the Boer War. The tablet contains an enamel by Phoebe Anna Traquair.
Restoration of the spire and chancel has recently been completed with financial support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and other funding bodies.
Architect: Robert Rowand Anderson
Building Date: 1867-9, 1872, c 1900
Alloa St Mungo’s Parish Church
26.09.15 (11 am to 3 pm) - 27.09.15 (12.30 pm to 3 pm)
Built by James Gillespie Graham to replace the old parish church in Kirkgate, this Late Georgian perpendicular structure is a large, ornate, battlemented rectangle with a five-bay north elevation. It has a soaring 207ft high spire, its corners clasped by flying buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. External additions were made in 1966 by Leslie Grahame Thomson.
The interior was also much altered by Leslie Grahame Thomson, who removed the galleries and added the panelled wood ceiling in 1936-7, as well as designing the pulpit, lectern, font and oak pews. In 1966-7 he created a new west chancel. The interesting stained glass is of late 19th and 20th century date, and includes work by William Meikle & Sons (1901), A L Moore & Co. (1901), William Wilson (1951-2) and John Blyth (1991).
Architect: James Gillespie Graham
Building Date: 1816-19
26.09.15 - 27.09.15 (1 pm to 5 pm)
One of the largest and finest towers of its type in Scotland, it was home to the distinguished Erskine family, Earls of Mar, from the later 14th century until 1800. By 1693 a mansion, kitchen tower, brew house and other buildings had been added. In 1702 John, 6th Earl of Mar, began to convert the tower into an elegant modern house and created an ambitious and extensive planned landscape around his home.
In 1800 the mansion was destroyed by fire, but the tower survived. By the 1980s it was derelict. Alloa Tower Building Preservation Trust restored it to its likely appearance in 1712. The tower was opened formally by Her Majesty the Queen in 1997. A fine collection of Erskine family portraits is displayed, along with many items of family silver, while a DVD tells the story of the tower. Alloa Tower is owned and managed by the National Trust for Scotland.
Building Date: Late 15th century, with later alteraions
Costumed guides and medieval and later craft activities will be on display
Last entry will be at 4.15 pm.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 24 results by building (A - Z)