Please copy and paste above link into your browser.
Arbirlot Church contact Rev Lamont 01241 879800
Carmyllie Church was refurbished in 1874 although the present building dates back to 1609. Its most famous minister was Rev Patrick Bell who invented the reaping machine which is commemorated in the stained glass windows. Old photographs, artefacts, and historical information, including details of Carmyllie Heritage’s forthcoming publication “Carmyllie Parish, Land and its People 1850-1970” will be on display. There is a fragment of the Laird's pew dated 1657.
Documented stained glass windows by Stephen Adam in memory of Patrick Bell, the inventor of the reaper.
More info available from Rev Stewart Lamont on 01241 879800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and location maps visit http://www.arbirlotandcarmylliechurches.org.uk/
Carmyllie is located off the B961 approximately 7 miles from Arbroath. Limited parking on roadside.
Open as part of Angus Heritage Week - visit www.angusheritage.com for more information and other events during the week of 7 to 14 September.
This underground relic of the Cold War is one of only two refurbished Royal Observer Corp posts open for access in Scotland and includes a collection of its original equipment and instrumentation.
A body known as the United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation (UKWMO) was set up in 1957 to collate the information received from the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) to warn the population of any impending air attack. Had the UK come under nuclear attack, a network of some 1500 small 3-man underground bunkers (approximately 1 every 12 miles) manned by thousands of trained local volunteer Observers would have come into their own.
The ROC posts were designed to monitor nuclear bursts and subsequent fall-out on the United Kingdom. In reporting the data to the UKWMO, the valuable information would have helped construct a picture of the effects on the country and been used to assist the survivors. Changes in technology and world politics led to Parliament announcing the stand down of the ROC in September 1991. A surface museum has now been established displaying memorabilia relating to the former ROC. In addition there is a collection of material from the ROC's original role of aircraft identification and reporting from 1925-1945 and the remains of the reporting Post.
Pre-booking is absolutely essential. Tour times on Saturday and Sunday at 11.00, 12.30, 14.00, & 15.30. Precise times will be advised when booking.
Booking Information: please contact Cheryl Stewart on email@example.com or Ring 07791 395976 before 31 August to reserve a place.
Access is via a 15ft vertical steel ladder down a narrow shaft. Viewing restricted to 8 people at a time.Tours will be conducted by ex-ROC personnel.
Regrettably this event is not suitable for people with mobility difficulties or who are uncomfortable in confined spaces. Children must be ten years of age or above. Limited toilet facilities.
Directions:- Directions to the site at Elliot and tour times will be given when booking.
The Abbey Theatre Club has been in its current location since 1964. Originally an old 'hackle' store, the distinctive sandstone building had also been used as the offices of the Old Arbroath Gas Company and a fire appliance store during the war. Extensive renovations turned this derelict building into a working theatre.
Following a complete refurbishment in 1995 with the help of National Lottery Funding, the theatre now boasts a 79 seater auditorium, full backstage dressing facilities, 2 coffee-lounges and extensive storage space for scenery, props and costumes.
The Abbey Theatre Club produces 6 plays per year, including a pantomime which is often a completely original production. Productions cover a wide range of tastes, from Scots comedies to thrillers and musical plays. The Club also has an active youth group.
Run as a charity with no outside funding, the running of the Abbey Theatre Club and the upkeep of the building is the effort and responsibility of a very hard working group of volunteers who are passionate aboutt the theatre.
Tours of backstage area.
Directions: From Kirk Square (Angus Council Access Office), head east towards Hill Place, cont. onto Academy Street towards Ponderlaw Street, turn left into Barber's Croft which follows onto Convent Street, then take 2nd right into Abbot St.
For further details please contact www.theabbeytheatre.org or phone 01241 876420
The current fire station opened in 1959 and replaced the one at Gravesend. It is manned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by full-time and retained fire crews. A new training block has recently been built which allows training in a number of scenarios and working at height. In addition to responding to emergencies, fire-fighters are also involved in community safety activities, primarily aimed at preventing deaths and injuries. The geographical area is both urban and rural, being Arbroath and the surrounding farming area and small villages.
The station has 2 front-line appliances and a Foam Salvage Tender.
Please park across the road in the Medical Centre car park.
Left in trust for the visual arts by artist, estate owner and luminary Patrick Allan-Fraser in 1890, Hospitalfield House has cast a spell on artists, musicians and writers for over 100 years. Most leading Scottish artists have at sometime drawn inspiration from the historic red sandstone building decorated with beautifully detailed carvings and stonework, its tranquil gardens, the unique collection of art and craftsmanship and the fascinating narrative that draws all these aspects together. The original construction of fieldstone and lime mortar walls can still be seen on the South wing where the lime-harl remains visible.
Image (c) Lighthouse Photography
Everyone is welcome to join us as we open the House and grounds to the public…
The café is open throughout the weekend serving wonderful lunches and teas.
Parking on the driveway, please park with care so as not to obstruct the flow of traffic.
Please note due to the historical nature of the house, there is disabled access to the ground floor only. Tel: 01241-656124
Arbroath Harbour Fishmarket Quay, Arbroath DD11 1PD At Arbroath Harbour, next to the new Arbroath Harbour Visitor Centre which is located at Fishmarket Quay. Parking at Arbroath Harbour. From the town take the A92 dual carriageway towards Dundee, follow Dundee Road. Exit to lifeboat station is at roundabout to the left at Ladyloan. Parking is available directly opposite the lifeboat station (some disabled parking ranks).
1803 - Arbroath lifeboat station was established and is one of the oldest in Scotland. The first lifeboat was built by Henry Greathead, who in 1789 had built the Original which was the first boat to be designed and built for the purpose of saving life from shipwreck. In 1865 the station was taken over by the R.N.L.I., and a new boathouse built at East Grimsby. In 1932 a new boathouse and slipway were built on the south side of the harbour for the station's first motor lifeboat. In August 1968 an inshore lifeboat station was established with a D class lifeboat. In 1986 an extension to the boathouse was completed, providing a new boat store for the D class and improved crew facilities. In 1993 the boathouse and slipway were modified for the station's new Mersey class lifeboat and in 1997 a 10m extension to the slipway was completed.
Dependant on numbers, a tour of the lifeboat itself may be available.
The Mortuary Chapel was completed in 1884 as a mausoleum. Visitors marvel at the intricacy and detail of the carvings that adorn both the inside and outside of the building. This is by far one of the best examples in Scotland of the stonemason’s craft.
On street parking is limited. Parking is also very limited around the monument itself.
Notes for Info There is a small step to gain access to inside the Mortuary Chapel at ground floor. No disabled access to upper floor.
Image (c) www. scran.ac.uk
Notes for Info.
Parking is available in Angus Council car parks on Marketgate and High Street with others also close by.
The Scottish Civic Trust: The Tobacco Merchants House, 42 Miller Street,Glasgow, G1 1DT
Tel: 0141 221 1466, Fax: 0141 248 6952,Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Scottish Civic Trust is a registered Scottish charity. Charity No. SC012569
Website By Radiator