Built in the 1730s by William Adam as a decorative feature in the grand design of the Hamilton Estates landscape, Chatelherault comprises four main pavilion buildings with linking walls. The western pavilion features fine Georgian plasterwork and woodcarvings. These rooms were used by the Duke and Duchess for entertaining hunting parties.
The structure was fully restored from ruin in the 1980s and now operates as the centre piece of Chatelherault Country Park.
Image (c) www.scran.ac.uk
The estate was established in the 14th century and remains in private ownership. Corehouse was built in 1824-27 by Edward Blore of London, who also worked on Buckingham Palace. It is considered the pioneer house in Scotland of Tudor Revival domestic architecture.
Corehouse has a pictureque profile with many shafted chimney stacks and carefully contrived massing so as to appear to have evolved in an unplanned manner. The interior is well conserved and is focused on a lantern stair tower.
Close to the house is Corra Castle built in the 15th century.
Guided tours limited numbers 15 - 20, allocated on first come basis.
Image (c) www.scran.ac.uk
This Parish Church dates from 1817 and is situated on a raised circular mound, indicating that this was once a religious site dating back to the 12th century. The village of Crawfordjohn was established in the 12th century by John, stepson of Baldwin, a Flemish Lord from Biggar.
The church is constructed of stone incorporating fragments of an earlier building. The elegant bell tower has been restored and new louvers fitted to protect the ageing sandstone and bell. It now houses a Museum of Traditional Rural Interest.
Handcraft demonstrations will take place.WC in Crawfordjohn Hall nearby. Parking at Crawfordjohn Hall nearby
Image (c) www.crawfordjohn.org
The Museum building, originally the Dower House of Douglas Castle, is situated adjacent to the ancient St Brides Church. It houses six stained glass windows depicting coats of arms of the Douglas Earls.
Exhibitions are changed annually to show the various aspects of village life, Douglas families and the Cameronian Regiment.
Car parking short walk to the museum.
Image (c) Douglas Heritage Museum
Operation Community Fire Station.
Please note that this is an operational Fire Station therefore crews and engines may not be available.
The Church was built in 1776 by James Pollock (with additions in 1818 by Robert Pollock and 1862 by W Pomphrey). The original church cost £570 and is modelled on Shettleston Parish Kirk. In 1818 a steeple was added, this is an unusual and highly distinctive feature for a Parish Church; the most famous example of this being St Giles High Kirk in Edinburgh.
Behind the Church is the kirk yard where notable gravestones include the parents of William and John Hunter, the famous surgeons and Rev. James French, minister of the Old Parish Church (1791-1835), who was tutor to the young Walter Scott.
Visitors are welcomed to Sunday morning worship at 11.00 am.
The majestic Falls of Clyde Wildlife Reserve sits at the gateway to the Clyde Valley Woodlands. It boasts an inspirational landscape of three dramatic waterfalls, beautiful ancient woodlands and abundant wildlife, all within easy walking distance.
Visit the exciting Falls of Clyde visitor centre located within New Lanark with lots of hands on activities for children.
Image (c) www.scran.ac.uk The Falls of Clyde by Jacob More, 18th Century
Part of the Energy Saving Trust Green Homes Network. Please contact Jacqueline Mackenzie to book a time slot - 0141 3033131, email Jacqueline_mackenzie@thewisegroup.co.uk
The Scottish Civic Trust: The Tobacco Merchants House, 42 Miller Street,Glasgow, G1 1DT
Tel: 0141 221 1466, Fax: 0141 248 6952,Email: email@example.com
The Scottish Civic Trust is a registered Scottish charity. Charity No. SC012569
Website By Radiator