Barr Soft Drinks in Cumbernauld will open its doors on Saturday 12th September 2015 to those members of the public who have booked a tour place in advance. Regrettably the site will be unable to accommodate entry on the door.
Each tour will last approximately one hour and will include the Barr History Exhibition, the Factory Gantry * and the High Bay Warehouse*. (*regrettably there is no wheelchair access in these areas)
Barr Soft Drinks has been making, moving, marketing and selling some of the UK’s best-loved soft drinks brands for over 140 years.
The first Barr family soft drinks business was established in Falkirk in 1875 and was soon followed by a second family business in Glasgow in 1887.
In 1901 both Barr soft drinks businesses, Robert Barr Falkirk and A.G. Barr and Co. Glasgow, jointly launched their original recipe IRON BREW.
The phonetic spelling IRN-BRU was introduced in 1947 following concern over proposed changes to food labelling regulations and IRN-BRU has since gone on to become the much loved and popular brand that it is today. Still made to its original secret recipe, IRN-BRU sits alongside our wide range of popular soft drinks brands, including Tizer, Barr’s Originals, Strathmore spring water and Rubicon. With over £50m invested across the site over the last 10 years, our Cumbernauld facility incorporates our head office, a state of the art manufacturing facility as well as a modern automated high-bay warehouse and logistics operation. We look forward to opening our doors to our local community and sharing some insights into our heritage and our business as it operates today”.