Ballone Castle was built in 1590 on the cliff edge above the raised beach, and has dramatic views out across the Moray Firth. The Dunbars from Morayshire built the original Z plan castle which was extended in 1623 by the MacKenzies to create a brew house and bakery. After the 1745 rising, it was soon roofless and by the mid-19th century had lost mot of its fine details.
It was bought in 1990 by Lachlan and Annie Stewart who set about restoring it as their family home, creating a fusion of authentic medieval with ANTA's 21st century Scottish contemporary aesthetic. There will be guided tours which don't need to be booked in advance. The garden will also be open.
Tel 01862 832477
Cromarty Courthouse was built at the expense of George Ross of Pitkerrie and Cromarty in 1782. It is now a museum with the first floor courtroom containing furnishings of 1844. There are cells on the ground floor. Further cells and an exercise yard to the rear of the building were built by Thomas Brown Junior in 1844.
Parking on street or Links car park Limited disabled access - staff happy to assist.
Image (c) http://www.scran.ac.uk/
An imposing Georgian mansion, built for George Ross of Pitkerrie soon after he aquired the Cromarty Estate in 1722 and restored by the Nightingale family since the 1960's.
The architect is unknown although Ross had close links with the Adam Brothers who visited Cromarty and produced unexecuted designs for a new parish chruch in the town. The fine u-shaped Stables, restored by the Cromarty Arts Trust, will also be open.
Guided tours - booking advised (see below).
The guided tours are ticketed and limited to 25 visitors per tour. These have proven very popular over the years, so, to avoid disappointment, why not go the house early and book your tour? You can then visit the other buildings open in Cromarty, have a coffee or lunch, visit Cromarty Potters, Gallery 48, Ingrid's House, or Gardner and Gardner Antiques before returning for your tour.
Tours will take place at 11am, 12 noon noon, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm.
Limited disabled access – staff happy to assist.
Image (c) www.scran.ac.uk
Cromarty Lighthouse was built by Alan Stevenson, uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson, and operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board from 1842 until it was de-commissioned in 2005. Overlooking John Smeaton’s 18th century harbour, the Lighthouse Tower, Keeper’s Cottage and Old Buoy Store are now used for marine research and teaching by the University of Aberdeen.
Staff and students will be available to present and discuss their work on seals, dolphins and seabirds. (Further details are available at www. abdn.ac.uk/lighthouse).
tel 01381 600548
Fearn Abbey, known as ‘The Lamp of the North’ - has its origins in one of Scotland’s oldest pre-Reformation church buildings. Like all monastic establishments, Fearn Abbey suffered at the Reformation, but unlike many monasteries, Fearn was not destroyed. It is the most northerly monastic foundation in Scotland and the oldest Premonstratension foundation in Britain still in use for worship today and steeped in an amazing history.
Hands on reading material including a record on the life of Peter Fraser, wartime Prime Minister of New Zealand, who was born at Fearn. Children's quiz.
The Charter for Lodge Fingal 318 was granted on 6 February 1826 by Lord Viscount Glenorchy, the Most Worshipfu Grand Master Mason for Scotland.
The foundation stone of the present Lodge Fingal was laid by the Provincial Grand Master, Bro Sir Alexander Gibb of Gruinard, on 8 October 1926. It is interesting to note that the cost of the present building was £4,000.00. It is now insured for over £1 million.
Gairloch Heritage Museum preserves and promotes the unique historical and cultural heritage of the Gairloch area in Wester Ross. The museum explores the region's crofting past through its diverse collections, from its photographic archive to historical artifacts and painted works.
Originally founded in 1977 by the Gairloch and District Heritage Society, the Gairloch Heritage Museum was established in the old farm steading at Achtercairn, Gairloch. The museum has grown over the years, extending its premises as the scope of its collections has expanded.
The museum will move to a bigger building in 2019, with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Tel 01445 721287
Family-friendly activities and demonstrations of traditional skills.
Hugh Miller was born in 1802 in the thatched cottage built by his great-great-grandfather John Feddes around 1700. His story is told in Miller House where he lived with his wife Lydia. This elegant Georgian house was built by his father about 1800. Beautiful small gardens lie behind both properties. The buildings are in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.
Note: Wheelchair access limited to ground floor of cottage.
Parking nearby. Last entry at 4.30pm.
Image (c) Andrew Dowsett
Edderton Old Parish Church in Easter Ross was built in its present external form in 1743. It is unique in being little changed both internally and externally since 1821. Historic Scotland recently re-appraised it as "A-listed" - ie it is of national or international importance.
Within the graveyard stands the Edderton Cross Slab dating from the 9th century. The Edderton Ark - a portable prefabricated pulpit used in the remoter areas of the Highlands in the 19th century - is also on display.
Tel 01862 821679
Guided tours which don't need to be booked in advance.
Information booklets available.
The Scottish Civic Trust: The Tobacco Merchants House, 42 Miller Street,Glasgow, G1 1DT
Tel: 0141 221 1466, Fax: 0141 248 6952,Email: email@example.com
The Scottish Civic Trust is a registered Scottish charity. Charity No. SC012569
Website By Radiator