A large 1959 home that has been retrofitted with renewable technologies that reflect the owner's desire to protect the natural environment. After seeing how effective the solar water heating system was the owner decided to install solar photo voltalics and a wood-burning stove.
A contemporary, copper clad, garden room extension formed by architect Lorn Macneal to his family home.
A townhouse built in 1809 that fell out of residential use becoming a warehouse and store for a William Ingram in 1901.The current owners have returned it to its original use and have been restoring it since 2011 using traditional and salvaged materials and local crafts-folk where possible.
Guided tours, stewards/ volunteers at key points, video/audio presentations.
Two traditional 19th century tenement flats which have been transformed into unusual duplex apartments provide a fascinating insight into ver y different treatments of an identical physical space.While externally the conversions are identical with French windows overlooking Calton Hill, internally, the treatment of the spaces is very different, based on the tastes and use requirements of both clients. The loft conversions are unusual in the architectural detailing and high specification.
Guided tours, information leaflets/notes, stewards/volunteers at key points.
The building was A listed in January 1966 and described as the grandest surviving original domestic façade on George Street. It was built by James Nisbet, circa 1790, for his own use. There were subsequent alterations to the ground floor by Knox and Hutton in 1883 but in 1978-80 the ground floor was reinstated by Covell Matthews Partnership to as near as possible the original design.
Information leaflets/notes, visual displays, stewards/volunteers at key points, video/audio presentations.
The Advocates Library is the private library of the Faculty of Advocates, a working law library also acting as the national law library and making its collections available to the public via the National Library of Scotland. The present library was designed by William Playfair and opened in 1833. Access will be via a limited number of tours of the library, with booking on arrival. An exhibition of some of the library’s collection will be on view in Parliament Hall.
Guided tours, information leaflets/notes, visual displays.
Limited wheelchair access.
This magnificent steeply-raked lecture theatre, based on that at Padua and still in use, was designed by Robert Rowand Anderson in 1877. The remnants of what was once a three-storey medical museum are now located on the top floor, where historical and contemporary material used by anatomy students is displayed. You will also find an elephant skeleton, a whale’s jawbone and a large collection of death masks of historical figures. 20-minute talks on the hour 11am-3pm.
Lectures/talks, visual displays, stewards/volunteers at key points.
Assisted wheelchair access.
Image (c) www.scran.ac.uk
“Argyle House is a marvel of brutalist architecture: designed in 1967, it’s a bold architectural statement and an astonishing contrast with the backdrop of Castle Rock”. The collectively- run ForestCentrePlus occupies three floors of the office complex, offering a gallery, studios, writing rooms, artists’ facilities and workshop spaces. Open for exploration, gallery viewing and studio visits on Saturday, with a special poetry workshop and tour from 11am to 1pm.
Guided tours, information leaflets/notes, behind the scenes access, Visual displays, Stewards/volunteers at key points.
The Scottish Civic Trust: The Tobacco Merchants House, 42 Miller Street,Glasgow, G1 1DT
Tel: 0141 221 1466, Fax: 0141 248 6952,Email: email@example.com
The Scottish Civic Trust is a registered Scottish charity. Charity No. SC012569
Website By Radiator