The Dutch Gable House is an iconic and unusual building in Greenock’s historic William Street town quarter. The rear of the building allows aces to the oldest surviving house in the town. The buildings are being redeveloped by Inverclyde Community Development Trust as a space for community, culture and enterprise. Some initial refurbishment has been undertaken in this first year on the ground floor.
On Doors Open Days weekend, visitors will be able to obtain FREE copies of local heritage group Magic Torch’s new graphic novel “Tales of the Oak” and view an exhibition of the original artwork based on local folklore. There will also be traditional music in the Back House, showings of local heritage films in our Secret Cinema and locally themed gifts available from our Social Enterprise, Newark Products.
The former station building at Fort Matilda was designed for the Caledonian Railway by James Miller. The building, in the Arts and Crafts style, was opened as part of the Gourock Extension. It has lain empty since the late 1980’s until Greenock and District Model Railway Club adopted the station in 2012.
The Model Railway Club meet twice a week to build layouts, teach model making courses and as a club we attend many model railway exhibitions throughout Scotland. We hope in the near future that other groups may make use of the building for exhibitions, meetings and activities.
The Ladyburn Business Centre was previously a primary school serving he east end of Greenock. It was renovated in 1991 to become a business centre. It was again refurbished to a high standard in 2009 and is now the Ladyburn Business Centre.
The character of the school remains with the frames of the blackboards still in place in some offices.
RIG Arts have a studio and gallery space in which they show artists work. Art exhibitions on 1st level but no disabled access. Ground floor accessible for disabled users.
Lodge Greenock St John’s numbered 175 on the roll of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland was founded on 1st February 1790 and has operated continuously since that date and has now contributed to our community for almost 224 years.
The Lodge building which is constructed of red sandstone from the long since defunct Skelmorlie quarry is one of the few buildings of character which remain in Greenock town centre. It is a testimony to the designers, Messrs Boston, Menzies and Morton, who were the foremost Architects in Greenock in the late 19th Century.
Designed by John Starforth, Architect in 1871 the interior has been altered twice in 1951 and 2002. The latest alterations involved removing the pews and the Sanctuary has become a 21st Century multi functional area. A beautiful stained glass window dominates the Chancel. The building is used for worship and social events. Various youth organisations and community groups use the Sanctuary and halls regularly seven days a week.
Other Lyle Community Kirk buildings can be seen at the Esplanade and Newark Street.
Information books available.
The church was the first post reformation church built in Scotland, opened in 1591. The pre-Raphaelite stained glass was by Sir Edward Burne Jones, William Morris, Dante Gabriel Rosseti . Daniel Cottier and Ballentine. The cruciform plan, walls, tracery and external balustrade stair were all taken from the original site further along Greenock’s waterfront. The roof and tower were designed by James Millar in the 1920s. The main entrance to the church is under the Choir Gallery. The Farmers’ Gallery is marked with a plough and a scale-model of a 20 gun frigate hangs in the Sailors’ Loft.
Exhibition, music (some taped) and tours will be available.
Welcomes tourists from all cruise liners visiting Greenock and opens for groups by prior arrangement throughout the year.
Designed by A Adamson, the museum houses exhibits relating to local industrial heritage.
The Museum will be showing the exhibition ‘Scotland Creates! - A Sense of Place and there will be a concert featuring musicians from Live Music Now! at 14:00
There will be a concert featuring musicians from Bells Up Brass Quintet at 14:00. Museum staff on hand to answer questions. Shop. Disabled access and toilets on the ground floor.
The Scottish Civic Trust: The Tobacco Merchants House, 42 Miller Street,Glasgow, G1 1DT
Tel: 0141 221 1466, Fax: 0141 248 6952,Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Scottish Civic Trust is a registered Scottish charity. Charity No. SC012569
Website By Radiator