Guided tours, lectures/talks, information leaflets/notes, visual displays, stewards/volunteers at key points.
Limited wheelchair access.
Designed in 1883 by the architect AG Sydney Mitchell for John Ritchie Findlay, the editor of The Scotsman newspaper. The interior is richly decorated in a Franco-Italian style and was sensitively refurbished and modernised in 2011 by the B+B Collection. It is category A listed and features a spectacular galleried Library and views over the Dean Village.
Information leaflets/notes, behind the scenes access, visual displays, stewards/volunteers at key points.
Limited wheelchair access.
Built in 1904, this category B listed church was designed by P McGregor Chalmers whose links with Iona Abbey are reflected in the nave with clerestory, apses and the curved arches of Romanesque Architecture. Of interest are the stone font and biblical texts carved into the walls. Extended in 1935 by J. Jeffrey Waddell the church and halls are the centre of activity for Blackhall. The organ built by David Hamilton for Old Greyfriars was extensively rebuilt by Sandy Edmonstone.
Information leaflets/notes, children’s activities, visual displays, stewards/volunteers at key points, video/ audio presentations, musical recital.
Although the school has been in existence since 1904, the building on Viewforth opened in 1913 to replace the first, smaller Boroughmuir on Bruntsfield Links. It is an inspiring grand building which was seen as cutting edge design internationally when it opened. This building is to be closed in 2016 when Boroughmuir will relocate to a new school at Fountainbridge. Boroughmuir was the Sunday Times Scottish State School of the Year 2012.
Information leaflets/notes, re-enactments/performances, visual displays, architectural models, stewards/ volunteers at key points, musical recitals.
lectures/talks, information leaflets/notes, behind the scenes access, children’s activities, visual displays, stewards/volunteers at key points, video/audio presentations.
Assisted wheelchair access.
lectures/talks, re-enactment/performances, musical recitals.
Image (c) www.scran.ac.uk
The workshops will run every 30 minutes starting at 11.30 am. Folk can stay longer to finish their model as required.
Constructed in just a few weeks in 1922 as Edinburgh’s Industrial Exhibition Hall, the building played host to many large national shows in the 1920s, including the Scottish Motor Show and Edinburgh’s Christmas Fun Fair. The building became a bus garage in 1926 and was extended in 1933 and 1963 to accommodate the ever expanding fleet of buses.
guided tours, information leaflets/notes, behind the scenes access, childrens activities, visual displays, stewards/volunteers at key points, video/audio presentations.
Image © www.scran.ac.uk (Historic image from 1960 of the bus depot interior).
The Scottish Civic Trust: The Tobacco Merchants House, 42 Miller Street,Glasgow, G1 1DT
Tel: 0141 221 1466, Fax: 0141 248 6952,Email: email@example.com
The Scottish Civic Trust is a registered Scottish charity. Charity No. SC012569
Website By Radiator