The fifth and final weekend of Doors Open Days is coming up this week!
If you haven’t visited any Doors Open Days venues yet, better hurry up!
These are some of our top picks for the weekend:
Open for Doors Open Days in Clackmannanshire on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th September 12pm-4pm.
One of the largest and finest towers of its type in Scotland, it was home to the distinguished Erskine family, Earls of Mar, from the later 14th century until 1800. In 1800 the mansion was destroyed by fire, but the tower survived. By the 1980s it was derelict. Alloa Tower Building Preservation Trust restored it to its likely appearance in 1712. The tower was opened formally by Her Majesty the Queen in 1997. A fine collection of Erskine family portraits from the Mar & Kellie collection is displayed, along with many items of family silver, while a DVD tells the story of the tower. Alloa Tower is owned and managed by the National Trust for Scotland.
Open for Doors Open Days in Highlands on Saturday 29th September 10am – 1pm.
The lighthouse at Fort Augustus was built in 1840 to mark the entrance to the Caledonian Canal from South Loch Ness. The lighthouse marks the east side of the canal and leads to a flight of five large canal locks. The lighthouse is readily accessible on foot via a short path along the banks for the canal.
Open for Doors Open Days in South Lanarkshire on Saturday 29th September 10am – 4pm.
Come along and gain a valuable insight into the work of our Court. Sample the architecture and history of our building which is considered by Historic Scotland to be most appropriately recognised at category A, denoting national significance.
Mock trials will be made available to our visitors, including children, providing an insight into what can happen in our court rooms every day and the roles played by judges, lawyers, clerks, court officers, custody officers and witness service staff. Some light hearted humour makes this both a fun and educational event for children to participate in.
Open for Doors Open Days in Shetland on Saturday 29th September 10am – 4pm, tours at 10am, 12pm and 2pm.
In 1901, the 7th Volunteer Battalion ‘The Gordon Highlanders’ was formed in Shetland. HQ and facilities were subsequently required. On 22 July 1903 Captain Commandant Moffat of the Battalion laid the memorial stone of the new building, with the formal inauguration taking place on 17 September 1904. It could never have been envisaged at the time that “Da Dreel Haal” would serve the community for over a century and become the much loved “Garrison Theatre”.