Golden Gates, Benmore Botanic Garden
The Grade-A listed Golden Gates, restored to their former glory, are delighting thousands of visitors to Benmore. They were commissioned from a firm in Berlin by Greenock sugar refiner, James Duncan, who owned the estate from 1870 to 1889. Duncan exhibited the gates at the Exposition Universelle (Paris World’s Fair) in 1878 before installing them at the main entrance to Benmore House from Glen Massan. Duncan’s initials feature in each gate. Starting In 2011, the gates were repaired, re-gilded in gold leaf using traditional techniques and rehung in 2015.